Friday, November 20, 2009

The best laid plans...

...are no plans at all! I had intended to go to Progresso today (it's a 50 minute/13 peso bus ride. that's right, $1!) - see the beach, the pier, and just walk around this port city, but I have now had 5 locals tell me not to go today because it is Revolution Day in Mexico and there is going to be a parade. Alas, Progresso will have to wait- I'm always up for a parade. I'm beginning to think I could be in Merida for a month and still not even come close to experiencing everything it has to offer.

I'm going to save my pictures of the cathedral for another post, as I didn't go inside yesterday so I'll post them all when I do.

Last night I went to Poncho's...a bar recommended by Tom, the owner of Luz. He said it was touristy, but good. And their happy hour from 6-8 is 2 for 1- very common down here. It doesn't matter if you just want one drink, you order your margarita and 2 are placed in front of you! :) I got there before Phil and Nancy- the couple I met from Toronto, and ordered myself a mojito, uhh...2 mojitos! I figured I better get some food in me and the first thing on the menu was table side prepared guacamole. Anyone who knows me, knows I can't pass up guacamole...but it said 120pesos which seemed extremely high to me for guac. I asked the bartender if it was grande and he said "not so much, one can have" Still, it was more expensive than any food I'd yet had, and it was just guac, but oh well, I figured it could be my dinner. And dinner it was! This picture doesn't do it justice but...

notice the size of that mortar compared to his hands...it's HUGE. There were 2 entire avocados in it...and yes, I did eat it all, thank you very much! Ok, well, Nancy helped a bit.
Next it was back to the hotel to grab a long sleeve shirt- the evenings are bit cool here- and across the street Santa Lucia Park for the open air concert featuring Yucatecan dress, dance, music, and folklore. There is some sort of cultural event like this EVERY night of the week around town. Every night...in a different location. free. And it's not something to draw the tourists. This goes on all year long. Could you imagine if Seattle did something li ke that? I suppose it says something about our "culture" sadly. (side note: i just looked up and realized I'm sitting right beside an avocado tree- i'm thinking i could live here...the internet is great...Marty, think anyone would notice if i didn't come back and just worked from here?!) Anyways, back to the evening festivities. Once again, my pictures don't do it justice, especially since it was dark, but look at the crowd...there had to have been at least 200 people there Apparently you want to get there early to get a seat on the bleachers they set up or the folding chairs. I'm not sure if this will work or not, but i shot a little video of the dancing- again, it's poor quality, but should give you an idea of what it was like (and you'll notice i was stuck sitting behind a huge tree...i now know to show up earlier for tonight's event at the university!) (video was to go here...taking too long to upload- will try when i return home)

At the end of the festivities I headed over to where they were selling cd's - I have absolutely no idea what kind of music I purchased, but I bought 5 cds and I'm assuming they are similar to what was played that evening! I struck up a conversation with a young man named Pedro who goes to the University here. It was an interesting conversation as he wanted to know why so many Americans are "afraid" when they come here...why they fear the food, the people, making eye contact with the locals. Thankfully Pedro spoke fairly good English as I would not have been able to carry on this conversation in Spanish! It was a sad commentary on American tourists, that's for sure. ( I could go on right here with a long commentary on things I've observed, things about tourists, etc. but I think I'll save all of that for when I return and have digested everything...right now I just want to take it all in...that, and keep my posts fairly light hearted for anyone reading).

I've been sleeping like a baby since getting here (they actually have comfortable beds at the hotel!) and haven't rolled out of bed before 7:30am yet! I'm thinking Sunday will be my get up early day to get pictures in the "good light" and see the city as it rises (I did learn a thing or two from dating a photographer for 7 years ;). (I'm beginning to think the video thing won't work as it's been over 15 minutes and it's still loading).

Went next door this morning to Cafe Lucia for breakfast. REAL coffee with steamed milk! Again, the obligatory food photo:
note the 4, yes FOUR croissants, plus 3 pieces of toast, coffee, orange juice and huevos mutelenos...all for 95 pesos...have I mentioned that I think I could live here?! :)

Off to explore more before the parade...

6 comments:

  1. When we come to Merida in March we will arrive around 7. I know we'll be pushing it but I hope we get checked in and unpacked in time to catch the Yucatan Serenade also. Were there food stands in the park? We will be staying at the Luz too, so it will only be a short walk but I don't know about getting dinner beforehand. Hopefully we'll get some sleep on the bus. I'm excited to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, the huevos motulenos look wonderful! And the guac! Sad about your conversation with Pedro, but I'm not surprised. Your photos are fabulous and I can't wait to see more. Now I'm getting so excited about my trip in March. I e-mailed the Luz and it looks like I'm booked! Whoo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy, thanks for stopping by. I didn't see an email in your profile, so I'll just respond here. Have you been to Merida before? If not you've made a great choice and Luz is absolutely fabulous. Last night, Thursday, there were not food stands...well, except for ice cream cones. I know on Saturday and Sunday when it's down in the main Plaza there are food stands. But don't worry, things here are open late so you'll have no problem finding food! Just remember a sweater for the bus ride! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Jill. Thanks for the sights,,especially the Food..if that Guac wasnt their "Grande",, I sure wanna see what is,, You are off to a great start.. look forward to seeing the rest of the Adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jill, I followed Ann and Beck here from Deb's blog. I am really enoying yours. Your room is amazing! Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill, sorry I took so long to reply. I was visiting family in another state this past week. I've been following your blog but missed your answer. No, I've never been to Merida before, only Isla once. We'll get to meet Deb because we'll be at the same hotel for a couple days! I am enjoying your blog so much.

    (I edited my profile to include my email address)

    ReplyDelete