Saturday, November 28, 2009

Piss Whistler and Her Husband

Earlier this week I met what I have a feeling will be lifelong friends who may regret they ever mentioned they have a spare room! Piss Whistler and Her Husband - from here on out known as PS and PSH - are who I see myself being in a few (+ some?) years. They lived a content life in Minnesota (accent and all) running a farm with horse drawn sleigh rides in the winters (disclaimer: this is my account, and PS & PSH feel free to correct anything!). They visited Merida once and fell in love - not with each other, that had happened some years ago, but with Merida itself. So much so that on that very first trip they purchased a home here and less than a year and a half later they are living here full time!

PS and PSH are two people I truly admire (and envy!)...sure, I've only known them what? a couple of days? But it's just like this city...there is a vibe (ok, I really don't like using that word, it's just what keeps coming out- I must find a better word) and theirs is one I completely get (they may beg to differ!). Sure they are "gringos" so it's not like I've befriended "true" mexicans (whatever that means) - but you know what? so far all of the "gringos" (you know who you are!) I have met in Merida embody all that is Mexico. I think there is a certain type of person who is drawn to Merida (tilted, right Jim?) and while I can't explain it, it speaks volumes about the person.

After PS and PSW invited me to dinner that first night of meeting them I got to thinking - when I met them I had been drinking a quite strong margarita...maybe they were some crazies, and as 7:30pm approached on monday (the time they were to pick me up from the Luz and take me to their home for pre-dinner drinks) I started thinking "am I fool? they were probably just being nice, they aren't really going to show up" not to mention, it was a monsoon outside! I started eating my Pringles (my travel staple food) in case that was how my night ended. But...the DID show up. And PW even gave me the front seat of their Bronco saying "we don't want you to think we're some crazies coming to kidnap you!"

We headed to their home (which was beautiful btw) and a friend of theirs, we'll call her PWF (Piss Whistler's friend) came along as well. We then headed to Los Almos (shoot, I might have the wrong name of the restaurant...will correct later when I check). It was a restaurant listed on the "recommended" sheet the Luz gives you when you check in, but I had been hesitant to go because it was described as having a "romantic setting" Needless to say, we had a wonderful evening (speaking for myself of course...for all I know they were thinking "why the heck did we invite this girl?!") and as the evening progressed PWF said, "you know, i've already celebrated Thanksgiving with some friends, would you like me to drive you to Uxmal on Thanksgiving?" I of course, accepted immediately!

Uxmal, the Maya ruin (side note: something I just learned and have been guilty of myself...Mayan only refers to the language) site that everyone, since my arrival has asked if i've been to. I passed up Chichen Itza in favor of Celestun, and perhaps that was a mistake, but I felt as though I would have been going merely to say i did. Anyways, PWF has lived here for at least 8 years (she's actually a Mexican citizen) and from what I can tell so far is an amazing and genuine human being- I wouldn't have accepted the offer if I had thought otherwise.

Back to PW and PWH. They were headed to the Yucatan State Fair today...where they have a snow hill! Yes, you read that right. A. SNOW. hill. with real snow...well, you know, manufactured snow, but real ice.
Maybe it's odd to dedicate an entire post to 2 gringos living in Mexico, especially after having just met them, but like I said before, it speaks to this place - Merida - and once you've been to Merida it speaks volumes as to the type of people PW & PWH are.

PW & PWH...thank you. Than you for opening your home and your friendship to me...it is greatly appreciated and warmly held.

***I wrote this several days ago..just now getting around to posting it. I made several friendships like PW/PWH while in Merida, and something tells me none of them have seen the last of me!

***BONUS POINT for anyone who knows what a Piss Whistler is...and DOUBLE BONUS POINTS to anyone who can say Piss Whistler after having a few margaritas! :)

3 comments:

  1. I found your blog while searching the web for all things Merida. I'll be making the same journey in February for only a week long trip. Exploring on my own, staying exactly where you did. Thank you so much for sharing your experience, it just makes me that much more excited to go. No bonus points for me though, I'll check back for the answer later. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful experience in Merida & were smart to go there before Isla. We are among those who always say we're going to go off Isla while ther on vacation & end up in Isla ( i.e.lazy) mode & never leave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great experience, Jill! I'm looking forward to similar ones when I get there. I wish I was going to be there longer than one week, but I'll take what I can get!

    ReplyDelete