Saturday, November 21, 2009

I should have known better

So, I stayed in Merida yesterday because of the parade. The parade, which more than one person told me, began at 1pm. Any of you who've spent any time down here know where I'm going with this...1pm shows up...is there a parade? Not anywhere I can see, and no one seems to have any idea what I'm talking about! But that's ok...I spent the morning, before 1pm just wandering around- again with no real destination in sight. Ok, perhaps I'm just saying that to make myself feel better. Have I mentioned I'm directionally challenged? I headed to the centro and then towards what i thought was the direction of the zoo on calle 59. After 20 blocks or so I realized I was NOT going the right direction, but in all honesty it didn't really matter. I wasn't really even wanting to go to the zoo, just figured there would be things along the way. The thing about Merida though is...there is something EVERYWHERE. You can't walk more than a block without looking up and seeing a church, a park, or just amazing architecture.

I've been struggling since arriving to come up with a way to describe this place. I'm not sure I've found the right word yet...it's clean, it's friendly, it's safe, it's beautiful...but those are all generic terms that could be almost anywhere. I could say it's "magical" but that seems a bit cliche...and not really my persona. I guess the word comfortable, as simple as it is, will have to do for now. Merida is comfortable. Comfortable as in a favorite pair of jeans and warm sweater curled up in front of the fireplace type of comfortable. Ok, weird analogy, I know. Comparing a sweltering hot major city with winter clothing! Like I said, I'm struggling with the right word...it will come to me though, I'm sure...it may just not be anytime soon! I guess the fact that I was many many blocks out of the center of town, no other gringos in sight, and I felt right at home kind of sums it up. I know people say all the time "I could live here" when talking about a vacation local...but there's something about Merida...it's not the beach, or the markets, it's just the vibe...something that really does make me honestly say "I could live here" (don't worry mom, won't happen anytime soon!). Once again on my walk I took many pictures (I tried downloading them to flickr or photobucket so that I could just post a link to the ones I don't put here since there are so many, but for some reason it wasn't working...I'm thinking it's the slow internet connection). So, here a a few (ok, probably more than a few) of my favorite shots from my morning walk yesterday...in no particular order.


One of my favorites - maybe because I'm from seattle :)
electricity meter
"The Foam" If anyone can tell me why that might be on a building, I'd love to know...a few of the street corners around here have these inset like this...some say "la palma" or "jaguar" etc. Perhaps maybe it once housed a soap factory?
Yes, that is a tree growing out of the cement!
I love the old beat up VW bus against the building
See what I mean? Everywhere you turn there's a church (in the distance)
Ok...enough pictures for one post. I'm been sitting by the pool posting this alternating between downloading photos and jumping in the pool to cool off. Now I'm off to get lunch...tacos...at a place the Pope ate no less!

I suppose I should finish off yesterday first. I came home after my walk...got some food and margaritas with a couple from Vancouver, BC, and then took a little siesta...about 5:30pm all of the sudden I heard ear piercing drumming...wait, could it be? Yes, the parade had finally arrived! I grabbed my camera and headed to the street corner. Sorry, no pictures to post - it was dark (but with HUGE spotlights lining the street) and none of my pictures really turned out. It was a parade of schools (there must be hundreds down here)- some marching bands, some cheerleading, some in traditional costume...I finally gave in after an hour...but could still here them from my room at 8:00pm...that was one long parade! After coming in from the parade I laid down and thought I was going to die. Mind you, I have NEVER gotten sick in Mexico...I've lived in Belize, traveled to Guatemala and been to Mexico many times and have never gotten sick. Well, I can't say that anymore. I had the chills - turned off my fans in the room and had the covers on and was still cold. My stomach felt like it was going to explode. I'll save you the unpleasantries, but let's just say about an hour later I felt like new again! Phew, at least it was temporary.

1 comment:

  1. very cool pictures! especially like the gold VW with the flames against the backdrop of the colored walls. nice job all around !!

    and that big tub of guac...oh man. cant blame you for eating the whole thing :)

    ReplyDelete