Tuesday, November 24, 2009

We now return to our regularly scheduled program

I'm a bit behind on uploading pictures and posting...today is a bit stormy- cloudy, windy, rainy...HUMID. So, I figured I'd do a photo dump with a few comments here and there...enjoy!

I think I could take 1,000 pictures and I'd still see a different/new building that caught my eye!


Yes, that is a Burger King...and there is a McDonalds...and I hear there are 3 Starbucks, however I have yet to see them...I think they are in the northern part of the city (rich) where the malls are
There are parks everywhere...
There are also magazine stands on many corners...i think they sell all sorts of magazines, but if you just glance it appears to be only "girly" mags ;)

and after looking at those mags, you go to church!


Deb, recognize this?! Not sure how the person got the picture you grabbed- I stood there for at least 15 minutes and there was NEVER not a stream of cars going by!
a few interesting things i've learned about the homes down here
1. don't be deceived by what you see on the outside...you have no idea what it's like on the inside. Apparently a lot of people, locals included, will restore the interior of their home but leave the exterior looking, shall i say, worn. That way one wouldn't know from the street they had money, etc. (I have no idea if that's the case with this home, it's just a picture I like!)
2. you can have the facade of your home restored for free...all you have to do is pay for the materials!
just some stairs

Oh...I had to move rooms today (since I added on 3 more nights) and this room, if you can believe it, is even better than the first. I now have my own private rooftop balcony. Here's my view:
Ok, just a few more and I'll be done with this long post- not because I don't have more pictures, or more to say...but it's about that time to go get myself some guac and a cold cerveza! Here are the ONLY pictures I was able to take yesterday at Celestun...remember, my battery died :( (mom, if you actually click on the pictures with the birds it will blow up the picture and you'll be able to see them better) We passed 2 small mayan towns/villages on the way. This is a typical Mayan home in Uman


and here are some white pelicans (they come from up my way and "winter" down here)- can you spot the solo flamingo?!


and here is the largest grouping of flamingos we saw- you can't get very close because if they are frightened they can break their neck, and also, you don't want to disturb them as they need to feed 12 hours a day! Due to the recents storms there weren't too many to be seen...apparently some days you can see hundreds if not thousands- oh well...it was still cool, and i can now say i am a proud owner of a tacky pink flamingo (it will go perfectly next to "hutch" right Kimberly?)!


Ok, really, only a few more! these are just 3 random shots I took on my walk to get lunch this afternoon (which by the way, cost me a whopping $35pesos including tip):

confession- i thought this meant some sort of cuban cigar or something until i just translated it on my computer---I seriously need to learn my spanish! (you can stop laughing now)


you've got mail



this intrigued me...I wish they had been open!


Alright, really, I'm done for now...but stay tuned for the next post about the piss whistler and her husband!

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Jill...I love all the photos! That's cool that you got the same shot of the one I posted on my blog. You should have put up some kind of road block so that you could have gotten a shot without the cars. Hahaha! That's interesting about leaving the facades worn-looking...but actually makes sense. You're teaching us so much about Merida...and I'm so glad I'm going to be there on a Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to love it Deb! And then you can post with quality pics from here! :) Yes, Sunday is definitely a must...I'm already trying to figure out when I can get down here again..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots, Jill! Keep posting as many as you want--I never get tired of looking at MX shots!

    ReplyDelete