Wednesday, November 25, 2009

El Mercado

Yesterday I finally made it to the market, and wow, is it ever a market! I figure it deserves its own post. I know I have said several times that my photos aren't doing justice to the subject...well, that couldn't be more true than with these market photos. It is an extremely busy, crammed, and dark indoor market, and with my little point and shoot I just couldn't get those amazing market photos everyone wants. But...they aren't half bad and they might give you some idea.
I spent at least an hour there and probably saw 1/8 of it...it is HUGE...and seemed as though you could get lost in the maze.

One of the first things I came upon when entering was the live animal section. I took pictures, but I have decided not to post them. It was actually quite disturbing to see these animals caged up and I don't feel that I need to expose you all to them if you don't want to see that kind of thing. If any of you would like to see them so you know what I'm talking about, I'm more than happy to send a few to you. I think probably what made it the hardest for me was the bunnies...hundreds...and they were probably 50 to a cage. I'm still not sure exactly if they were for sale as pets, or for food....all I do know is that they were not healthy...especially sad since Erik and I have 2 rabbits at home as pets that often roam the house freely. Among other animals en mass were birds (parrots, finches, parakeets, etc.) turkeys, ducks, gerbils, and about the cutest darn puppies you've ever seen. I had visions of those movies you see where the person breaks into a research lab and releases all the "test" animals. I thought about it for a quick minute and then realized I'm not so sure those animals would be any better off "free" at that moment in that place. Needless to say, it was a low point of what otherwise has been an incredible trip.

But, then I moved on to the rest of the market and was in awe...

Perhaps a lot of the vendors ride motorcycles to the market?
There were literally hundreds of dollies lined up

A kilo of huevos anyone?

the stand where i purchased 2 limes
see what i mean about how narrow and crowded it is?
I don't know why, but I have a thing about empty coke bottles...
doesn't everyone need a virgin mary lit up for christmas? (one should buy stock in mexican christmas lights...they are everywhere!)
the thing about the market isn't just that it's a LOT of stalls...but it's stand after stand of the same thing for rows...shoes, bags, christmas lights, fruit/veggies, seafood, beans and...
stall after stall of spices...this gentleman gave me a sample bag of something- he didn't speak english and all i know is it's a spice of some kind (i guess i'll find out when i get home and try it on something!)...and he wouldn't let me pay for it no matter how hard i tried...just another reason this place is so wonderful
I've got so much to write about...including Piss Whistler and her Husband, and the amazing day I had today with Jim, but those posts may need to wait a day or two...tomorrow- Thanksgiving, I am headed to Uxmal with a wonderful woman (there's a great story about how this trip came about) and then I leave Friday at 9am for a bus to Cancun with hopes of having my feet in the sand, a Sol in my hand, and pico at Picus by 3pm. So...I'm unsure if I'll get a chance to post before I head for Isla...but one never knows...

Hasta Luego!

3 comments:

  1. Great post Jill and thank you for not posting pix that would haunt me. Looking forward to your Thanksgiving tale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photos of the market and especially the spice vendors. I am hoping there are no problems returning to the US with the unlabeled spices because I plan to buy several of those recados (spice pastes). The pastes are mixed with sour orange juice and other things to make marinades. Thank you, I am loving your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mentioned in this post that you were going to Uxmal. Did you get to go? Do you have any photos? We are thinking of going next year.

    ReplyDelete