Monday, November 30, 2009

This Ain't No Sleepy Fishing Village Anymore...

I remember the first time Erik and I came to Isla Mujeres. It was a surprise Christmas present for him. The tickets were free (the only perk of my previous job) and we rented Bob & Wayne's place (which, btw, I highly recommend!). Erik had never traveled outside of the U.S. except to London for business (with a side trip thrown in to Amsterdam- of course!). I had previously lived in Belize and traveled some in the Yucatan and Guatemala while living there. I knew for his first trip I didn't want to overwhelm him but, without completely offending some people who may be reading this, let's just say Cancun is NOT our style. I think it was a fluke that I found Isla Mujeres...and it was described in a travel book as a sleepy fishing village off the coast of Cancun. Perfect I thought. This was 4 years ago. That first night we arrived I distinctly remember sitting on some logs down on the beach across from Jax with tears streaming down my face. Erik, completely perplexed, asked me what was wrong. "This isn't a sleepy fishing village." I said. To him though, it was...that is, until we went to the deserted beaches of Tulum days later when he looked at me and said "now I know why you were crying...THIS is a sleepy fishing village." And a year and a half later when we bused Mexico, Belize & Guatemala he REALLY knew what I meant.

Now, any of you Isla-holics reading this, don't hate me...I get why you like the place...and this is only my opinion. It just ain't no sleepy fishing village anymore...that's for sure (and yes, I know the colonias are a whole other world). And boy, had I known how much had changed between then and now...I would have quite possibly said it was sleepy then. Yes, I get that they rely on tourism...so these monstrosities that are popping up are helping the economy- i guess. call me crazy, i just can't make myself like them. I mean really...a place called Privilege...that advertises "feeling privilege?" Crap...if I stayed there I'd be ashamed of the privileges afforded me. Again, this is my blog, and MY opinion...I love the locals of Isla Mujeres, and think they are some of the hardest working people I know...I guess what I can't wrap my mind around is that they are trying to please this "cancun " image of tourists- and perhaps because we have led them to believe that's what we want. And yes, some people DO want that...but that's what I thought Cancun was for. I mean really....I'm staying at Francis Arlene - a place Erik and I stayed on our second trip and really liked (and still do)- and I have heard music blaring...I'm not exaggerating...until 3:30am in the morning from, get this...a club across and down the street named Libido! Really?!?!? Who even walks into a club named that? I honestly considered leaving and going back to Merida for the remainder of my stay...if it weren't a 4.5hr bus ride each way, I probably would be there now.

I just find it interesting that when I first planned this trip I purposefully put Merida at the beginning thinking: it's a big, busy city...I'll want to do that all first so I can just come to Isla and relax. I suppose if I thought hearing blaring music, obnoxious drunk tourists screaming in the street until 3:30am (yes, I've checked the clock both nights) and hearing nothing but American music at every beach bar I sit at, and more English being spoken than Spanish, was my idea of relaxing then...(then again, this is coming from a treehugging, latte drinking elitist- so says McCain- ha! perhaps I'm just cranky because I haven't slept at all because...oh yeah, because of the above!)

Don't get me wrong...I have enjoyed doing "nothing" at Playa Sol- despite the overpriced drinks - soaking up the sun, reading, and playing in the crystal blue waters..that part of Isla can't be beat. I could just do without the "cancunification" of it all...I suspect it's inevitable, being so close to the mainland, and I fear Tulum beaches may fall prey to the same fate. I can honestly say though, that my 10 days in a city of 1.6 million people was WAY more relaxing than this has been so far.

My apologies to any of those I may have offended. I know those of you who love Isla, love it fiercely...and I don't blame you. The locals here are wonderful, the fish is great, the beaches can't be beat. This isn't meant as a post to bash Isla. We each need our place, and I believe I have found mine.

*****************************************************************
Ok, lest you all think I'm a sourpuss, I AM having a good time. I hadn't so much as opened a book since arriving even though I brought two with me and since being on Isla I have already finished two books (not the ones I originally brought - muchos gracias mi amiga Gim)

Today I'm going to have my laundry done...not because I necessarily need to but it will be nice to come home and not have to do it all...and, as we all know, it will be great having my clothes smell, at least for a while, like Mexico!

I'll leave you with a few Isla photos...I still have so much to write about Merida and more pictures from there to post as well...I don't know however if I'll post again before leaving on Wednesday morning...I can only take this ESPN so long (but I've done my darndest to tune it out)...oh, i did see a sign last night in the main square that said they now have free wi-fi there! Wow- that is great...except there are no trees and i'm not so sure I want to sit in this tropical sun and try to type- let alone see my screen!

I will post more upon my return (and who knows, there still be another post coming while I'm here) but in the meantime I'll leave you with these photos... (oh, and really? no one knows what Piss Whistler is?)

you really can't beat the blue of the caribbean

who's ugly feet are those, anyways?

mmmm, a mango smoothie

sunset...at sunset


1 comment:

  1. I agree that the cancunification of isla is a terrible thing, but the people & the beaches 7 the fishing, etc keep us going back. It's too bad that all of the new buildings are so big--they're appealing to a person different than me! We stay in a palce with 6 rooms!

    ReplyDelete