Monday, November 23, 2009

It's a small world after all, it's a small world....

Indeed it is! Just a quick post before I'm off to dinner with some friends I met yesterday.

Small world case in point #1:
Sitting by myself eating dinner last night and ask the waiter how much the horse drawn carriages are...he doesn't understand me and an American couple at the next table answer my question. They then ask if they can join me. Who am I to say no?!

We get to talking and I find out they came down here for the first time ever about a year and a half ago and on that very trip bought a home...they did not come with that intention! They are renovating and have only been living here full time for the past 2 months. As our conversation continued I mentioned that I am headed to Isla Mujeres after my time in Merida and they say, "Oh, we have some friends who live on Isla Mujeres." Seriously, that is all they had said, and I said "Their names don't happen to be Bob & Wayne do they?" Why I said this I have no idea...I mean really, what are the chances? (side note: the first time I was in Isla, Erik and I rented Bob & Wayne's place for a week). Wouldn't ya know...sure enough their friends on Isla ARE Bob and Wayne! We continued to talk a bit more and they invited me to their house tonight for a few drinks and then out to dinner at a place they highly recommend. Again, how could I say no? Now, mind you, I am supposed to leave tomorrow for Isla...on my walk back to my room last night after dinner I got to thinking...Isla can wait...I really love it here in Merida and feel like I have barely even scratched the surface so...I promptly walked into the office and asked if I could extend my stay here through Friday. So there you have it...I will be in Merida for Thanksgiving!

Small World case in point #2:
Today I went to Celestun (my camera battery died about 5 pictures in!). I arranged the day trip through my hotel and it turns out it was just me and one other person. A Mexican woman named Elizabeth from Mexico City. It's about an hour drive, and thankfully she spoke very good English...we got to talking and when I said I lived in Seattle she said "Oh, Microsoft! I work for them." Ok, really? This is too crazy. For those of you who don't know...I work for the Gates Foundation...essentially this woman and I work for the same person! Not only that, but she's been to Seattle (last February of all things- poor girl- what a miserable time to be there, and last February especially), stayed in Bellevue, etc. We exchanged emails as she took pictures since I couldn't, and she may be back in Seattle for a conference this winter.

I'll post more pictures and stories tomorrow, but I'll leave you with this one...Ha!
don't ask


2 comments:

  1. OK I won't ask! Sounds like you're having a great time. Thanksgiving will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So when are you moving to Merida?? Ha! And what a handsome guy! Glad you're having such a great time.

    ReplyDelete